YMCA – My Social Media Monster: Social Media & Peace Program
In partnership with the Jackie Robinson YMCA of San Diego
This is a program that is dear to my heart because it involves kids and social media, two of my favorite things. It also is important to me because the main objective is to educate under-privileged teens about emerging technologies and skills that they will need to succeed in the job market of the future. The program is in partnership with the Jackie Robinson YMCA of San Diego. We are currently in the process of developing the marketing pieces for the program. I am also looking for sponsor companies for participating groups as mentioned below. Although the funds needed to run the program initially will be negligible, I have started a KickStarter to raise funds to hopefully make it possible to offer this program anywhere there may be teens that can benefit. If you would like to get involved please contact me using the form to the right.
The program will teach High-School age teens how to create and manage socially conscious social media campaigns for businesses that target other teens. The program requires 4 sponsor companies whose target audience are teens and has a social component to their business. Participants will be split into groups, where each group will produce various forms of digital content, including copy, videos and photos to be distributed through the social networks of their sponsor company.
Ages: 14 – 18
Frequency: 1 Weekly
Duration: 3 Months
Time: 1 hour
Student Capacity: 20
Participants will be responsible for accomplishing the following goals:
- Choose a social topic to promote that can be aligned with the mission statement of the YMCA, and their sponsor company.
- Each group will create a social campaign with a goal of distributing content that will reflect the mission statement of the YMCA, the student group and the sponsor company.
- Each Group will produce creative videos, photos and copy that speaks to their peers on such subjects as bullying, social responsibility and resolving conflicts.
- Each group will Strategically distribute content through the social networks of their sponsor company.
- Each group will create, distribute, manage and track content via Social Media.
- Participants will follow a proven social media process, overseen by social media expert and CEO of My Social Media Monster Shawn McClondon.
- Each group will give a presentation of their success at the conclusion of the program reflecting the skills they learned and how they have advanced the message of their chosen social cause. Each student will receive a participant certification signed by the program instructor (Shawn McClondon), the sponsor company, the host company and the YMCA, which can be used to add to your professional resume.
- The cost to participate as a sponsor company is $2500
- A representative from each sponsor company will be responsible to attend 1 face-to-face learning session and one video conference with the propose of learning about the mission of the business.
- To be a sponsor company your target audience must be teens between the ages of 12 and 18, or have a current marketing initiative that targets this age group.
- Each sponsor company may be asked to provide digital assets.
If you are a business that would like to become a sponsor, or a teen that resides in San Diego that would like to participate in this program please contact Shawn McClondon at (619) 300-5841.